The only college to provide a BMMMC (Bachelor of Mass Media & Mass Communication) degree in Delhi University is “Indraprastha College for Women” The College had introduced the course in 1999. It is a three year undergraduate self-financed programme. The Course aims not merely at producing skilled workers for the media industry, but also developing a core competence & comprehension in the crucially important areas of Mass Communication.
Admission is based on entrance test. All aspiring students are required to appear for the Online Entrance Test conducted by the University of Delhi.
About the course
The BMMMC course is inter-disciplinary and aims at producing a practitioner with a critical and analytical mind, who is holistically trained in theory and the praxis of communication and has hands-on training in a wide range of media technology and media practices.
In the FIRST YEAR, the course introduces the students to the fundamentals of Communication Theory and Models, Introduction to Journalism, Print Media production. Media Moments in History focuses on epoch making events/persons etc. to stimulate student interest in history and the technical construction of the media moment. Communication Research enables the student with the basics data collection and organizing and interpreting information and introduces Radio and related production.
In the SECOND YEAR, students are introduced to areas like Hindi Cinema, Graphic Design, Public Service Broadcasting and Television Journalism, and moves on to specialized fields which require application and practical training, like Development Communication, Advertisement and Media, Camera and Editing for Television and Reporting and Anchoring skills.
In the THIRD YEAR, students are introduced to four specialized communicative modes introduced for the first time, with the papers: Fashion Communication, Communication for Special Needs with the focus on disability, Disaster Management Communication and Communication and the Plastic Arts which explores public art in public spaces. The papers on Global Politics and Media, and Integrated Market Communication cohere logically to provide the student with a macro-perspective on the practices and culture of the domain and the hands-on Still Photography, and The Documentary, provide further understanding and training in the media concerned.
A non-credit internship component is factored in at the end of Semester IV, to promote the interface with industry and diversification into media and communication related areas.
- Minimum Percentage Required – An aggregate of 75% marks in the best four (including 85% in English) of the qualifying exam. Mass media may be included as an academic subject in the best of four subjects.
- Basis of selection– It would be done according to the merit list prepared on the basis of the marks secured in the entrance exam.
- Duration- 2 hours
- The test is MCQ based. There will be no descriptive questions.
- Syllabus- There is no prescribed syllabus as such. However, it is based on General Awareness, Media Awareness, Current Affairs, English Comprehension and Grammatical & Analytical Skills.
- There will be 100 questions. For each correct answer, a student shall score +4 marks and for each wrong answer, there will be -1 mark.
CATEGORY-WISE DISTRIBUTION OF SEATS (Total seats=52)
- General- 26
- OBCs- 14
REGISTRATION AND DATES
- Online registration for the same had begun on 15th May 2018
- For more details regarding this visit the official site of Indraprastha College for Women http://www.ipcollege.ac.in/ and http://www.du.ac.in/
- Reporting for TV /Newspapers
- Film Direction
- Public Relations
Sound Mixing and Sound Recording
Radio-Program Design, Jockey/ RJ
Script and Screenplay
Apart from these there are many options such as Editing Publishing , Event management, Video Jockey, Fashion Photography, Illustration, Graphic Design, Animation, Critic, Photojournalist, Digital and online Media & many more. The list is suggestive & not exhaustive! There are a plethora of options available after pursuing BMMMC.
The department of BMMMC has one of the best visiting faculties Mr. Ramesh Tahiliani (also, visiting faculty at IIMC, Pearl Academy), Previously at JIMS Rohini, IIPM, Vice President at Brand Curry from March 2006- Dec 2006, Deputy GM at ADINC Muscat from March 2004 to February 2005 and many more!
Apart from this, the department has many feathers in its cap. The department Is known for its super amazing Annual Fest “Parampara” conducted in March
Here are some photos from the fest, March 2018
To know more about this annual fest visit their official page on Instagram @Parampara2018
- Shubhdha Choudhry– Freelance Journalist/PhD Scholar in International Relations.
- Garima Ralli– NFDC
- Neha Parti– Yash Raj Films-Director/ Cinematographer
- Devina Gupta– Senior Correspondent/Anchor, India Today
- Akriti Tyagi– Producer NDTV
- Surbhi Horo– Assistant Director at Rajshri Productions
- Nimisha Pandey– currently doing a show for Ekta Kapoor, Balaji Films
- Divya Vasudev– Radio Jockey at Radio City 91.1 FM
The list is simply unending! Check the official website for the full list.
Guys, BMMMC is an amzing course! Go for it.Pursuing it in Indraprastha College for Women makes it even more interesting. So many opportunities,career options, excellent faculty & infrastructure. Lots of department events which are full of opportunities to showcase your creative side. Above all, remember this is the only college providing BMMMC degree! So, It must be having something special…
If you guys have any queries please drop it in the comments section. DU Times will get back to you as soon as possible.
Thanks for reading. We wish you all the best !
Have a great day 🙂