Delhi University’s decision to terminate the Extra Curricular Activities (ECA) quota created an issue for all the students seeking admission through it. A petition was filed by two students in Delhi High Court and was supported by many others. Finally, DU has agreed to take this decision back and restore the quota.
Under ECA quota, each college has to reserve 5% of the total seats in each course for the students with extra curricular talents. There are 12 categories including- Dancing, Singing, NSS etc. under which they can seek admission. These students are given 15% grace marks and they have to secure 50% marks in final trials to be eligible for admission.
With this the university has also extended the deadline for the registration for admission to 31st August, 2020. Other guidelines given in the press release are-
1. The University of Delhi has decided to include all the fourteen categories of last year of Extra Curricular Activities (ECA) under the admission through ECA category in the UG Courses. These categories and sub-categories are as follows:
2. Applicants desirous of registering under ECA can do so from 1st August to 31st August 2020. Applicants who have already registered and now wish to apply under ECA category can also do so from 1st August 2020 to 31st August 2020 after paying the requisite additional fee of Rs 100/-.
3. Applicants may register for a maximum of three ECA category.
4. Admissions under ECA will be done based on the Merit/ Participation certificates of the Applicants. Applicants would be required to upload a maximum of Best Five certificates of preceding three years (1st May 2017 – 30th April 2020). Undated certificates will not be considered for marking.
5. Certificates uploaded by the applicant shall be scrutinized and evaluated out of a maximum of 100 marks. Applicants scoring 20 marks and above in uploaded certificates shall be eligible for final merit list of admission on the basis of ECA. The marks under ECA category will be awarded based on sum of the total marks awarded in the three best certificates uploaded by the candidate.
6. Not more than 15% concession in academic merit vis-à-vis, Unreserved Category applicants from the last relevant cut-off will be given for admission to a specific course subject to course-specific eligibility criteria. The specific concession shall be declared by each college.
7. The criteria for marking of Merit / Participation ECA certificate are given below. The detailed break-up shall be notified on the website of University of Delhi in due course of time.
8. The forensic examination of certificates of all admitted candidates under the ECA category will be done.
Furthermore, to make the editing/corrections/uploads in the registered form student friendly the registered applicants will be allowed to edit / correct their forms and upload their certificates. Following fields will be allowed / not allowed for edits in the registration form:
a. No editing shall be allowed in their registered Email ID, Category and Gender.
b. No editing shall be allowed in the number of courses an applicant has chosen for entrance test in the UG courses.
c. No editing shall be allowed in the Entrance test center chosen by the applicants at the time of registration.
d. All other fields will be allowed to be edited.
e. Applicants would be allowed to replace / update the documents – caste
certificate, EWS certificate, mark-sheet, Minority certificate, Medical Certificate, supporting documents for ECA and Sports. f. No extra fee will be charged from applicants for these edits/corrections/uploads.
g. The facility for editing, as mentioned above, will be allowed only to the applicants who would have registered on the admission portal till the last date as announced by the University of Delhi.
h. No edits/uploads/corrections in the registered form will be allowed after the closure of the Edit window. The form submitted after the closure of the Edit window will be taken as FINAL
i. The applicants are advised not to fill multiple registration forms.
The window for editing is likely to be announced between third week of August and second week of September.